Jan 13, 2007

Introduction

I am currently listening to the audio version of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen Covey. You can purchase it on Amazon.com at:

7 Habits on CD

In the introduction to the CD, Stephen Covey encourages the listener to teach what we are learning to others, for it will encourage us to deeply internalize the material, and bring a higher level of commitment to it. With my current fascination with blogging, I realized that a blog would be a good way to discuss and teach what I am learning as I progress through the CD.

I think Mr. Covey’s observation is accurate. I have found that teaching and writing about a subject brings a much deeper understanding. I think I first observed this when I was tutoring calculus to a friend. I realized that I was left with a much more profound understanding after I was finished explaining it to my friend. To teach is to require the concepts to be crystal clear in one's mind. The same is true of writing.

At first I was just going to make private notes, and then I realized that making my notes public I would be holding myself to a higher level of accountablity for making a good effort. I have participated in online discussion groups where I spent many hours expressing and defending my views in writing. I was able to broaden and clarify my views in the process. Sometimes, to my great surprise, my views were transformed when I realized that I could not defend them or that they were incoherent, or I had adopted them from my family or peers without much conscious consideration. On occastion I adopted a point of view closer to that of someone with whom I had been in strong disagreement with.

My intention is to write a blog entry for each audio chapter on the CD. I will attempt to summarize what the materal meant to me and what the core ideas are that I took away. I will also at times offer my own opinions about what Covey has to say, or consider examples of how it is relevant in my own life.

No comments: