Jan 13, 2007

P-PC Balances

Here Covey focuses on the 'deposits' and 'withdraws' that one can make in relationships, and briefly discusses 5:

1) Little kindnesses & courtesies
2) Keeping promises - and making them only when you know you can keep them
3) Violation an Expectation - many are implicit; make them explicit
4) Life of personal duplicity - By loyal to those not in your presence
5) Apologize sincerely

He also gives an example of a Clam Chowder restaurant business than started watering down it's chowder. Short term profits went up, but long term they went down as the asset of the relationship with the customer was plundered. Customers are the most important asset of a business.

I'm my life I could do a much better job of (1). I believe I am good at keeping promises (2), not violating expectations (3) and not being duplicitous. I make an effort to apologize when it is warranted, but I could do a better job on this. I could have offered an appology in many instances where I was only partly at fault, but could have acknowledged my role. I could also apoligize more often on the occasions I am judgemental or condecending.

No comments: